Search This Blog

Monday 22 April 2013

Leslie Varley Duxbury

Today I finally visited Leslie Varley Duxbury. Who rests at Heath Cemetery, Harbonieres.

The sun was shining bright, birds were tweeting, flowers were blowing gently in the wind.

As soon as I found his grave I felt unexpectedly emotional. After everything -all this research, interviews and over 24 hours travelling... I was here. With him. It felt really special. My presentation went well, it think. We ended up singing the song he sang - Come on, Australians. It was a really nice moment. That song had probably not been sung for nearly 100 years.

However we were also right by the road. So the trucks provided a frequent and rather annoying reminder that life still goes on. A copy of my speech is coming.





No comments:

Post a Comment